Monday, January 11, 2010

Hello build-up, good-bye coral reef!

Big changes are coming to my island. I'm afraid. I'm not really one to speak out, but as stated in my list of New Year's resolution, I promised to be less complacent and a little more socially conscious.

The U.S. Military is planning to relocate Marines from Okinawa. This move is going to increase Guam's population by 50%. The military build-up may provide more jobs for Guam's people, but its undesirable effects on the island's culture, environment, infrastructures, wildlife and resources are definitely a cause for concern.

For instance, in order to make room for a nuclear aircraft carrier, the military plans on dredging 2.3 million square feet (imagine 40 football fields!) of reef. 35% percent of this reef is coral, which is vital to our island's ecosystem.

This is one of the many, many, many things that bother me about the military build-up. I am not Chamorro, but Guam is my home.

So for my 365 Days of Art, I present you with:


DAY 10: January 10, 2010
TITLE: Coral Reef Posters
MEDIUM: Markers and crayon on paper
These are posters I made for the hearing. I think they speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read some of my thoughts, I'd like to read some of yours! Your comments are completely appreciated! Thank you. ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails