Thursday, January 28, 2010

Trust is a Virtue

I've really just been super enthusiastic about school that I have to share.

Today's topic for my International Tourism class was goods, services, and experiences. My professor showed us this video and I'm going to show it to you because not only is it a good business approach, but it gave me the warm and fuzzies. I'm a sucker for these things.



For my sociology class we did an activity where we got into pairs and interviewed each other. I really enjoyed interviewing my partner and a few of the questions I answered made me learn a thing or two about myself.

When I was asked to name a person I admired and what virtues they possessed, I named my grandmother because she is very persevering. She practically had to raise her 9 siblings when she was only 19 years old and has persevered to survive her whole life. I admire that and I wish I was more like her in that way.

I was also asked to name one of my strong virtues and one of my weak ones. I guess this is somewhat something I've had in my mind since I started my Resolution Tree. I chose love as my strong virtue because I do pretty much everything I do with all my heart. I do things because I love my family, my friends, myself and I have love for whatever it is I do.

For my weak virtue, I said I lack compassion. This caused my partner and me to laugh since it is quite odd that I am loving but not compassionate. I kinda just contradicted myself, but there is an explanation. For my friends and family, I have nothing but love for them and will do just about anything, but unfortunately, when it comes to strangers I, more often than not, forget to see past the surface. Sometimes, I just don't try hard enough to see where they are coming from, since they are not close to me.

We did another exercise dealing with trust today. With our partner's guidance, we had to walk around the building blindfolded! I was amazed that I actually did it because I hate not being able to see. It's a control issue I have. My partner did such a good job guiding me, but I was still so terrified. I took these teeny little steps while following my partner's voice. I felt so vulnerable, but by the end of the exercise, I did start to trust my partner. My senses also hightened to the point that I could smell the salt in the air coming from the ocean.

I must have been one of the exceptionally nervous cases because my professor, who was observing the whole thing, had to ask, "Have you been in many bad relationships?"

Oh, you have no idea, sir. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read some of my thoughts, I'd like to read some of yours! Your comments are completely appreciated! Thank you. ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails