Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Guam Love


Tumon beach at Sunset

For one of my assignments in my Sociology class, I had to make a list of things I love about Guam. This is what I came up with:

1. Just about anywhere you need to go is less than a 30 minute drive away.

I love this, not only because I hate wasting time on the road, but this is a contribution to our relaxed society. It does not take so much planning to do anything.

2. You have the option to spend a relaxing day at the beach or spend the night out in Tumon.

Some days it’s nice to spend time with your family and friends at the beach, in a more relaxed environment, but it’s good to know that there are options if you want a more city-like experience, shopping, dining, and having drinks.

3. Taking a drive around down south is always a relaxing and beautiful experience.

Some people get bored living on Guam because as they say, “there is nothing to do”. I believe that teaches us to enjoy the simple things in life and a drive around the island is always a great experience because you get to feel the air against your face, you get to see the greenery and the beautiful ocean. During the day, you get the feel the warmth of the sun and at night, you get to see the beautiful stars.

4. There is great food everywhere.

Because of all the different ethnic groups on this island, there are so many choices of food to eat at restaurants, and of course, we have Chamoru fiestas where you can get your fix on your favorite local dishes! Mmm. I want some chicken kelaguen now!

5. Zories (Flip-flops) are pretty much acceptable footwear everywhere you go.

While I love my high-heels, some days are zori days. Thank God that Guam is zori-friendly.

6. Chamoru people are incredibly hospitable.

What I’ve learned about Guam is you’re never alone. You will always have people who are will to help you and who will welcome you into their families, just as if you were related by blood.

7. There is always good company at any time of the day.

You know that your good friends will always be a phone call away and they’re never too busy to be there for you for the good times and bad.

8. Chamoru customs are so unique.

The customs here are so inviting and so easy to get comfortable with. I love how some of our customs here are a bit like inside jokes, while we also have the very traditional customs that are meant to be honored.

9. The people of Guam are resilient.

In other places of the world, when disasters hit, people panic, but on Guam, we have the ability to adapt and make the most of it.

10. We have the most amazing sunsets.

A friend of mine once asked me, “If you lost your vision, what would you miss the most?” Of course, aside from the faces of my loved ones, the first thing I thought of was our beautiful sunsets. I can’t help but marvel at them at the beach or during late afternoon drives.

I truly LOVE Guam.

Here is yesterday's Art of the Day. It's not exactly inspired by Guam, but I still think it fits with the post.


DAY 46 - February 15, 2010
TITLE: Shades of Blue
MEDIUM: Water color + Acrylic


This was inspired by a photo my friend and the love of my life, Mikey, took with his camera phone. I loved how it was tinted with a gradient blue and I just had to try to recreate it. I thought of doing it sometime during early last year, but I forgot. Now, here it is!

1 comment:

Now that you've read some of my thoughts, I'd like to read some of yours! Your comments are completely appreciated! Thank you. ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails