Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolution Tree

DAY 3, January 3, 2010
Title: Resolution Tree
Medium: Pen and marker on recycled paper :)

Why "Resolution Tree"?


On New Year's Eve, I told my friends how the negative events of 2009 has caused me to soul-search and found that I have quite a few flaws in me that I want to improve. So I listed down the things that need improvement. Under each of the items on the list, I made specific resolutions on what I can do to fix my negative attributes. In other words, I listed my resolutions in outline form. A little excessive? Maybe...


After sharing this with friends, one of them said "so, you made a resolution tree?"


I thought that this was a great way to describe this system that I created. The little changes I want to make in my life will hopefully make a big positive change in my life, kinda like how little leaves on a tree create one big tree.


Here are a just a few of the many, many things I have decided to work on and examples of what I intend on doing:
  • Have better time management by schedules and sticking to them.
  • Gain independence by spending "me-time", self-dates, running errands by myself, and cooking for myself
  • Be more socially-conscious by making eco-friendly decisions, attending meetings regarding the upcoming military build-up.
  • Be proactive with goals by setting priorities, making lists, and making time lines.
  • Finish what I start, by ensuring that whatever I start is achievable.
  • Hone talents and skills by keeping up with my 365 Days of Art project, writing in my journal, and getting together with my musician friends to sing.
  • Control emotions, especially my anger and crying in public.
  • Be more health conscious. I know I can't quit smoking cold turkey, so I decided that I won't smoke at home, in my car, or my friend Drea's house (which will cut down my smoking by half).
  • Have more faith in God by having regular conversations with Him.
  • Be less self-centered by not monopolizing conversations and do more for other people.
  • Be less materialistic by not buying this impulsively. If I see something I like, if I really want it, I will wait three days before buying it. If I still want it, and if it's still there, then it's meant to be.
  • Stop being complacent by speaking up and change what I want to be changed.
  • Adjust attitude by smiling first thing in the morning and turning negatives and positives.

A lot of people have a tendency to critique themselves too harshly. Critique is pointless unless things are done to improve flaws. Every year, people make resolutions. I heard somewhere that 90% of New Year's resolutions are broken. It's probably because people are too unrealistic about their resolutions or are too vague about them.


Another thing I kept in mind when I was listing my resolutions is that some of my flaws are what make me who I am. So, what if I am a little stubborn or a little sensitive? I've learned to appreciate those things about me, so I'm keeping them!

*sigh*

Today is my ex's birthday. I woke up and that was the first thought that entered in my head. It made me sad knowing that it would do no good to greet him, but since I can't really do anything about it, I just smiled and told myself that it will be a good day.

I think my resolutions are working out for me very well!

1 comment:

Now that you've read some of my thoughts, I'd like to read some of yours! Your comments are completely appreciated! Thank you. ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails